Reliability of dynamic contrast enhanced magnetic resonance imaging data in primary brain tumours: a comparison of Tofts and Shutter Speed Models

File Description SizeFormat 
AcceptedVersion_Symplectic.docxFile embargoed until 01 January 10000724.74 kBMicrosoft Word    Request a copy
Title: Reliability of dynamic contrast enhanced magnetic resonance imaging data in primary brain tumours: a comparison of Tofts and Shutter Speed Models
Authors: Inglese, M
Katherine L, O
Lesley, H
Tara D, B
Eric O, A
Adam D, W
Matthew, G-S
Item Type: Journal Article
Abstract: Purpose To investigate the robustness of pharmacokinetic modelling of DCE-MRI brain tumour data and to ascertain reliable perfusion parameters through a model selection process and a stability test. Methods DCE-MRI data of 14 patients with primary brain tumours were analysed using the Tofts model (TM), the extended Tofts model (ETM), the shutter speed model (SSM) and the extended shutter speed model (ESSM). A no-effect model (NEM) was implemented to assess overfitting of data by the other models. For each lesion, the Akaike Information Criteria (AIC) was used to build a 3D model selection map. The variability of each pharmacokinetic parameter extracted from this map was assessed with a noise propagation procedure, resulting in voxel-wise distributions of the coefficient of variation (CV). Results The model selection map over all patients showed NEM had the best fit in 35.5% of voxels, followed by ETM (32%), TM (28.2%), SSM (4.3%) and ESSM (<0.1%). In analysing the reliability of Ktrans, when considering regions with a CV<20%, ≈25% of voxels were found to be stable across all patients. The remaining 75% of voxels were considered unreliable. Conclusions The majority of studies quantifying DCE-MRI data in brain tumours only consider a single model and whole-tumour statistics for the output parameters. Appropriate model selection, considering tissue biology and its effects on blood brain barrier permeability and exchange conditions, together with an analysis on the reliability and stability of the calculated parameters, is critical in processing robust brain tumour DCE-MRI data.
Issue Date: 7-Aug-2019
Date of Acceptance: 11-Jul-2019
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10044/1/71933
ISSN: 0028-3940
Publisher: Springer Verlag
Journal / Book Title: Neuroradiology
Copyright Statement: This paper is embargoed until publication. Once published it will be available fully open access.
Keywords: Glioma
DCE-MRI
shutter speed model
Tofts model
primary brain tumour
1103 Clinical Sciences
1109 Neurosciences
Nuclear Medicine & Medical Imaging
Publication Status: Accepted
Embargo Date: publication subject to indefinite embargo
Article Number: NRAD-D-19-00246R1
Appears in Collections:Division of Surgery
Division of Cancer
Department of Medicine



Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Creative Commons